Monday, September 17, 2018

3 Owls a Day keeps the doctor away.


   Went to a certain area yesterday which I won't divulge,
   but just to say I was absolutely delighted with the few
   hours out that I had, 4 Barn Owl, 2 Little Owl, 1 SEO,
   6 Kestrels, 2 Buzzard and a cracking Peregrine flypast.
   Photos not very good with the low light and a good
   distance away but pleased to get them anyway.

   brothertons.blogspot.com

 
                                          Buzzard
                                          Barn Owl

                                          Short Eared Owl
                                          Barney With Prey


9 comments:

Mick Cunningham said...

Do you have any more pics of the Asio owl. Of course you saw the bird in life whereas I've only got 1 pic at awkward angle. So it might indeed be a Short-eared but the following make me wonder if it's a Long-eared

stumpy wings (angle?)
poorly defined trailing edge to wing
thin wingtip bars???
And it even looks like it might have an orange eye (pushing it!)

As I say, photo a bit hard to decipher but the above have me wondering

Cheers

Mick

Dave Brotherton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave Brotherton said...

You cold be right Mick but for me on the day it looked like a Shortie and it was a bit
lighter in colour than the pic shows, but Im no expert so you'll have more of an idea
than me for a positive ID, theres a couple more pics on my blog but still at same angle.

brothertons.blogspot.com

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Well done Dave.
Great day out.
John

heavy birder said...

I agree with Mick looks like a LEO to me.

AndyC said...

Yep LEO...

Mick C said...

Having looked on your blog and seen the second pic it is a LEO not a SEO
Ta

Mick C said...

Sorry pressed send too quickly. I think it has a grey face which usually indicate male and, in my experience, males aren't always heavily streaked below chest so underparts can look a bit more like SEO than most books show. I agree Leo's often look darker overall than SEOs but not always. Having moved to Oxon I miss my LEOs
Ta

Dave Brotherton said...

Thanks lads much appreciated