Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Wheatley Valley

Without the car today so I had a couple of walks across the former landfill site opposite Shroggs Road and below Brackenbed. Hardly any birds about in the scorching heat but butterflies were pretty good with an equal share of Ringlets and Meadow Browns, a few Speckled Woods, 1 Tortoiseshell and hundreds of Small Skippers. Other Skippers might have been present as well but my skill in identification of the others is suspect !!
Most of the butterflies were in the large flat grass area and around the fringes

Surprise too were 2 House Martins over Lee Mount - a rarity up there this year and also c40 Swifts went high SE mid afternoon

4 comments:

AndyC said...

The Ringlet was first recorded in Calderdale in 2006..I had 10 around the house today,I still don't think it has been recorded in the tODMORDEN AREA..??

Matt Bell said...

I've had ringlets at Jumble Hole Andy. And Dave - I noticed house martins nesting at Pecket Well yesterday if you're still recording them. Don't know how many nests as I was driving.

David Sutcliffe said...

Thanks for the House Martin info Matt. They are few and far between. I am still logging nest sites thanks and Pecket is on the list of sites so that's good.

David Sutcliffe said...

Didn't realise Ringlets were so recent Andy, certainly a lot this afternoon but weather is perfect for them. Found a spot for them last year at Cold Edge and another at the bottom end of Ogden golf course so might get chance again this week to check them.