Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Gaddings, Longfield and Lee Dams

On the way to Gaddings this afternoon I came across something I'd heard about and I've even seen a video of it on Springwatch last year, but I'd never witnessed it myself - a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming on a metal pylon! I first heard it drumming on a tree and located it eventually with the bins. It flew to another tree, obviously unhappy with the sound it was getting from the previous branch, and started drumming again. Although the sound was very different from this branch, it still wasn't happy and flew off again. I lost it in flight but heard it soon enough - and as the sound was definitely metallic I thought, it can't be can it? So I looked at the metal pylon and found it right at the top, drumming away. Weird, but was it effective? I don't know but I heard no more drumming thereafter...

At Gaddings 3 Curlews were on the southern shore and a pair of Goldeneye were on the water. Down at Longfield Dam there were 5 Lapwings and numerous Canada Geese with a flock of 48 Fieldfare overhead.

Nothing at Lee Dam apart from a few Mallards but there were 6 Moorhens in the field next to the dam.

Just outside Mankinholes a Little Owl was calling from its usual place on a dry stone wall.

5 comments:

B.Nield said...

Hi Jeff, I have only recently started to visit Cromwell Bottom & there is a Green Woodpecker there which also likes smashing it's skull on the Pylon next to the Feeding Station. I think they get a better sound from them, maybe the ladies are more impressed with the different tune?

Drew Marsh said...

We get Greater Spots drumming on the copper tops of the posts on Widdop Road every year, makes more noise I think that is why they do it.
Drew

Mike Stead said...

I've also seen Great Spots hammering at both metal pylons and wooden telegraph poles in the Brighouse area - always in winter. Maybe a sign of desperation when food is short ?

Sandra said...

Hi Jeff - a GSW used to drum on a metal 'chimney' at the top of Strines Street. The last time we saw & heard it was about 4 yrs ago but it had been active for the previous 3 years.

Sandra

Jeff Cox said...

Right, so it's just me then! Everyone seems to have seen this phenomenon over the years but me. I must try and get out more lol.