Sunday, January 16, 2011

Book Advice

After living on the coast here in N Wales for the last three years I feel I ought to at least try and get to grips with some seabird ID's. Not being sure of the best books for this purpose in the Uk I thought I might ask here as most Calderdale birders seem to spend more time in Filey than Halifax birding :-)) The books I know of that look fit for purpose are below. Anyone use these and any other recomendations ?


Flight Identification of European Seabirds
Anders Blomdahl, Bertil Breife and Niklas Holmstrom

Shorebirds of the Northern Hemisphere
Richard Chandler

TIA

2 comments:

martynbirder said...

hi Paul

Fllight Identification Of European Seabirds is excellent covering Divers,Grebes (North Wales is excellent for these) Ducks, Geese right through to Terns it is all photo based, however

Albatrosses, Petrels and Shearwaters (Onley and Scofield) is also excellent if you want to take things a bit more seriously

North Atlantic Shorebirds is also very goood for Waders (again photo based) but I would recommend Shorebirds by Hayman, Manchart and Prater, that is the best for this group

however you could consider a Handbook, I would recommend The Handbook of Bird Identification by Beaman and Madge, this is an excellent book and would cover everything for you

Martyn

Goldon Gordon said...

Cheers Martyn. I don't like photo based guides for any type of field guide. I had not realised the two I mentioned were photo based. I will struggle on with my Collin field guide for the time being.

Any decent ID guides in DVD format at all ?