Friday, June 04, 2010

London Road 3 June

Walked on London Road looking for the possible Grasshopper Warbler that was reported by Sandra's son previously. No sighting but did hear lots of grasshoppers in the juncus. I see Dave S had Gropper over at Withens Clough yesterday so maybe the bird has flown the short distance from London Road over the hill to Withens Clough.

I did see something on London Road that had me reaching for the Collins.










Sorry about the fence post getting in the way, but it turned out to be a female Reed Bunting, and according to the guide... "A few (adult summer females) acquire more male-like head pattern". At least that's what I think it is. Any other thoughts?

1 comment:

David Sutcliffe said...

I see what you mean about this Reed Bunting Jeff - always worth a second look and a photo is a bonus to check when you get home!