Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ogden

1 pair of Whitethroat with at least 2 fledged young just out of the nest near Lane Head Lane. This was a surprise to me as Whitethroats are usually in the lower valley areas. This pair were totally unexpected and a real bonus for the BTO atlas survey which I was undertaking at the time.

On a more general note on the BTO Atlas survey - Blackbirds have been the most abundant bird in 3 of the local tetrads (2km X 2km squares) surveyed. House Martins are well down in numbers and this is of national concern this year according to the BTO.

1 comment:

Jeff Cox said...

The BTO conducted a House Martin Survey last year Dave and they are repeating it this year as well, to try and quantify if numbers are down or not. We have a few House Martins around here and at a guess I'd say there are fewer this year than last. I must make an effort to do a proper survey here so I can compare year on year rather than just guess!