Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rookery Survey 2009

The survey is going very well so far but there are still a few gaps if anyone else wants to get involved.
We still need help to check the following sites (nil returns are still important);
Cragg Vale
The valley from Hebden Bridge to Midgeholme (crags car park)
Colden Valley
Luddenden Foot to Boulderclough (49 nests in 1964)

I will put a summary on the blog of where we are with counts later this week as initial counts are coming in most days.

Active rookeries seem to have birds in residence all the time now, however it has also been noticed that new nests are still being built (maybe by late comers or non-breeders having a go?) So late checks before the leaves come on are most important.

No matter if you check sites where someone else has checked as it's better to double up than not at all. Many thanks everyone.
Dave

5 comments:

Jeff Cox said...

Can I just add to Dave's comment about others visiting areas that may already be covered. I'd appreciate a second opinion from anyone travelling or walking through the Todmorden area as I haven't seen a rook around here for several years. If anyone sees one, let alone on an active nest, please let Dave or myself know. Cheers.

Nick Carter said...

I think the Ludd Foot to Boulderclough site referred to might might be the one we have recorded between Ludd Foot and the Blackwood Hall area (SE037248)? If so we reckoned on 17 nests visible but only three looked occupied when we were there. We will visit this site again.

Marrop said...

Hi Jeff

I thought I saw a colony close to Harley Wood when I passed this week. Can't remember the name of the road but at the tod centre end of the playing field.

Marrop said...

Hi Jeff

I thought I saw a colony at Harley Wood this week. Can't remember the name of the road but at the tod centre end of the playing field.

Jeff Cox said...

Thanks for the heads up Marrop - I haven't done that end of Tod yet so I'll be on the look out when I'm there early next week.