Monday, October 15, 2007

Feeding Station Visitors

I set up the beginnings of my first feeding station at Cromwell Bottom on Thursday last week. I intend to set up three areas in total on various parts of the reserve as I get the time. When I walked up to the top of Tag Loop this morning to top up the feeders and scatter some more seed on the track this morning, I was surprised to spot two Roe deer feeding under the feeders. I assume they were looking for spilt sunflower seed and some pinhead oats I had scattered under the feeders for ground feeding birds and small mammals. As they crashed off they obviously awoke a sleeping fox who shot out of the undergrowth and disappeared off over pontoon bridge onto Brookfoot Loop. The feeders are obviously getting some attention from birds as well as they were nearly empty after being filled on Friday morning. All of the seed and oats from the track had gone, hopefully to finches but as I spotted two crows scavenging around the path I assume they all also feeding on the sunflower seeds.

1 comment:

Matt Bell said...

It should be really interesting to see what turns up on these feeders this winter