Sunday, March 26, 2023

Mixenden Reservoir

After a morning on Soil Hill, I had just got home to ACs message about incoming Whooper Swans. I failed to pick them up flying over Soil Hill, once I had driven back up, but from the vantage point, could see some Swans on Mixenden Reservoir, so headed down.

  • From the photos I took of the flock, I click-counted 112 Whooper Swans on the reservoir itself, with an additional flock of 56 that continue north and dropped onto Ogden. These are presumably all the birds that AC had north over Shibden. A brilliant spectacle! 

  • A single drake Common Scoter was also on the reservoir when I arrived 

  • A Red Kite flew south high up at 12:30. Sounds like there has been a few Kite sightings around Halifax today
In total I managed 25 species in an hour at the reservoir, the full list here; https://ebird.org/checklist/S131838914

Also on Soil Hill during the morning, a single Jack Snipe, 7 Teal and 2 Wheatear

-Whooper Swans
-Red Kite
-Common Scoter

No comments: