Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Todmorden Town Centre

 Yesterday I saw the first Kingfisher I've ever seen on the Calder in the centre of Todmorden. It flew upstream past the bus station as I was passing on the adjacent footpath. Thinking it might perch in one of the trees overlooking the river just N of Stansfield Road I retraced my steps but to no avail. The river is culverted at Wellington Road just N of here, so where it went is a bit puzzling.

However, while looking for it, a small brown bird shot off the concrete bank, which my wife confirmed as a Dipper when it flew past her - she'd sensibly stayed downstream near the market. 

Today, another Dipper sighting at the Wellington Road bridge over the Calder - it had been perched on the river level monitoring equipment case, and rather oddly flew off high over the adjacent houses.


No comments: