Monday, February 14, 2022

Fly Flats

Poor conditions up there as I met with a hail storm late afternoon and a gusting westerly.
1 Curlew was the best I could do other than 28 Greylag Geese heading >N over the moor.

Withens Head - 10 Fieldfares in the field opposite the wind-farm with c110 Starlings.

A really good find for PD and AT at Ringstone this afternoon with  a drake Gadwall. Such a scarce bird in Calderdale.

Also from late morning - 2 Whooper Swans >W over Ogden towards Cold Edge around 11:30 (NK). 
I thought they might come down at Cold Edge dams given the poor weather conditions but there was no sign of them there, thanks to a check (AR).

1 comment:

Jeff Cox said...

Hard work out there when conditions are bad Dave, so I feel for you :) We don't get much really bad weather over here and I sort of miss being up on the tops by Stoodley Pike in a howling gale.

We have about 200 wintering Gadwall on the Mere but I never saw one in Calderdale in all the 60+ years I lived there. A fine record indeed.