Friday, March 15, 2019

Fly Flatts

No let-up with the weather up there this week The gales, rain and gusting wind continue with a vengeance !
Difficult to find anything around the reservoir other than a few Mallard and Canada's.
I eventually found some waders, all sheltering on the flat moor including an unknown number of Lapwings, Golden Plover and at least 2 Redshank.
Apart from that 5 Meadow Pipits were getting blown about alongside the top road.
1 Curlew at Withens Head.

Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

Brian Sumner . said...

You did well to pick them out from the top road Dave, not easy to find hidden on the moor.
Goldies are up to around 100 so far.

David Sutcliffe said...

Cheers Bri. All I could see was heads up and down but I gave up on a count as couldn't keep the scope still. I think that wind was stronger than ever today up there. I enjoyed it though, never know what might drop in/fly through in those conditions.
Takes pretty tough weather to silence the Curlews !! Just one Curlew at Withens Head was the only one I could find.

Brian Sumner . said...

The farmer up there said " When the Curlews go quiet its either windy weather or a sign that they,re nesting".