Friday, March 14, 2008

Woodcock

Just got back from a quick walk to empty the dog and spotted a Woodcock flying well into dusk above the woodland between the canal and Calder just down from Park Nook Lock. I had been watching a group of Pipistrell Bats hunting around the canal when I spotted what I at first thought was a large bat. It slowly dawned on me that it was a Woodcock "Roding" over the wood, I have only ever seen this at Hardcastle Crags. Interestingly enough the bird was over the small patch of woodland I spotted one earlier this year. One benefit of the lights over Lowfields is that its possible to see bats and other night flyers well past dusk in this area. Have Woodcock ever been reported breeding in the Elland area ?

2 comments:

AndyC said...

Excellent record,I have seen them here before,but never roding maybe JB has.?

Steve Blacksmith said...

No, Paul, not from memory, but they are at least winter visitors to many of our wetter woods.
I have only seen roding at Jerusalem Farm and Withens Clough.