Saturday, January 20, 2007

Digiscope Warning - Canon A710IS

May I pass on the following cautionary tale to any digiscopers out there?
As some of you may know, I have always used the hand-held technique for my (limited) amount of digiscoping, and late last year I decided to replace my Canon A85. After much research I settled on the new Canon A710IS, which has a 6x optical zoom and an image stabilisation system, and purchased one from Jessops in Manchester.
Vignetting was not a huge problem with my old set up, and zooming in a bit soon got rid of any dark corners. I got the new one home and tried it through the scope - wow! A lovely, full picture at normal magnification. BUT, zoom in, and it rapidly disappears to a small disk (a bit like zooming out fully on Google Earth, for those who've tried it!), and only returns to anything like a full picture on the maximum zoom.
Due to work (and lousy weather) I have not had enough chance to fully assess the situation, and maybe the increase in pixels will enable me to use the normal magnification setting.
I presume other higher magnification compacts may exhibit the same problem, and of course, it never shows up in the reviews you read! Incidentally, the camera is excellent in every other respect.

1 comment:

Alastair said...

I've generally given up digiscoping as a bad job, too much faffing around for a naff result. Did use it on the male LTDuck - that's why it's all blurry. Handy in an emergency. Bought a Canon S3 for my birthday (thanks Louise) - it has a 12x zoom. Used on best quality (anyone know how to shoot raw with this camera as I can't find that in the menu's but believe it can) This is fine for blogging quality if you crop tiny subjects - see recent Goldeneye that was out in the reservoir some way. The camera is largish (nothing like an slr) but great for normal use and ace for insects, plants etc where quality is excellent. Can get an attachment that pushes it up to x16 - results I've seen look ok. It is not an expensive camera (now c£260 ish on internet). Recommended.