Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Todmorden

Found a definite juvenile Grey Wagtail in the Calder by Tod Bus Station on Sunday, and a probable 2nd with an adult female.
Also I've seen quite a few juvenile Jackdaws around Tod centre - no let up in the increase of this species locally, it seems. Swifts also seem to have done well, and I must have a check around the House Martin colonies. House Sparrows seem to have halted their expansion, with far fewer birds noted singing at the bottom end of Eagle Street after a few years of increasing numbers.
On the subject of urban breeding birds, I was in Manchester on Tuesday afternoon when I saw what I was sure were two Peregrines circling around the Arndale Centre. One bird disappeared, but the other occasionally flew past. At about half past eight, my wife and I passed the same spot, and I was alerted by the calls to see a group of 3 or 4 (two of them disappeared so quickly I couldn't be sure whether it was actually a pigeon being chased!), while the other two circled a minute or two longer. I presume at least one was a juvenile - obviously I was without bins, but one was clearly brown.
Sorry to ramble on, but I can remember reading as a child about the "terminal decline" of this "bird of wild and lonely places". If you had told me that 30-odd years hence they would be breeding in the heart of my native city, I wouldn't have known what to think!
There's always hope, eh?

No comments: