Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Lee Mount - House Sparrows

Over the last 3 years I have managed only about one or two records per year of single House Sparrows actually visiting my garden (similar to national concerns about dwindling populations) - even though feeders are in the garden summer and winter. It's been a bit worrying as twenty and more years ago we had a small colony that visited on more or less a daily basis.
THEY ARE BACK!!! Ten or more visiting in the last few days thanks to a bird bath which I put in last week! A very simple solution - and they are now using the feeders as well (black sunflower seed) so hopefully they will stay around.
I am more than happy with the result as the water has also attracted Blue, Great, and Coal tits, Blackbird, Magpie,Woodpigeon, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Robin, andCollared Dove so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Queensbury, which is roughly between 1/2 to 1-1/2 mile outside the Halifax recording area. Both mine and BS house/garden have House Sparrow and it appears that this location is a stronghold for the species. May be a combination of plentiful old buildings in a semi-rural location is the reason.

Bruce said...

My garden in Holmfield has had 20+ daily this summer now doubt attracted by sunflower seeds. The sprags also attracted two sparrowhawks into the cherry tree!
Bruce

Anonymous said...

Silly as it sounds I have up to 80 House Sparrows at a time in my garden in Queensbury attracted by fat ball feeders and a water bath.Many breed in the eaves of troffins and up to 20 roost in ivy on my house wall.On the down side this is the only regular species other than Starlings I get up here, if I get a Greenfinch or Chaffinch its a mega tick.Of course the local Sparrowhawk is a regular visitor but if my wife sees it first shes out protecting her sparrows. BS